Silver Place Studio is a renovation of a 1950 printing company building undertaken in partnership with our affiliated development company, Nine Yards. With minimal interventions and economic means, the building was transformed into a residence while maintaining the essential character of the existing masonry and steel structure. The interior is characterized by high ceilings, exposed structure and duct work, simple volumes, colorful welding curtains, and the refurbished concrete slab. Large portions of the asphalt parking lot were removed and replaced with plant species that are well adapted to the local climate. Asphalt, gravel, and concrete waste created during demolition was all either used as stepping stones or contained on site in gabions that were later capped with wooden bench tops. The site plan highlights the location of a small cigar manufacturing concern that stood on the site until the early 1900s.